The Fundamental Unit of Life Part - I
Cell - The Structural and Functional Unit of Life
What you will learn
1. Why the Cell is called the structural and functional unit of life?
2. If the organization of a cell is destroyed due to some physical or chemical influence, what will happen?
3. What is the shape and size of cells?
4. What happens when a plant cell is placed in a hypertonic, hypotonic and isotonic solution?
1. Who discovered the cells?
2. What are the three basic components of cell theory?
3. Name the two scientists who are usually credited for developing cell theory?
4. Why is the cell called the structural and functional unit of life?
5. How many cells the human body contains?
6. What is the meaning of Unicellular organisms? Give examples.
7. What is the meaning of Multicellular organisms? Give two examples.
8. What is the difference between Unicellular and Multicellular organisms?
9. The cells of different living organisms may differ in shape and size. Comment.
10. Do you agree that there is division of labour in multicellular organisms. If yes, write a few lines in support thereof.
11. We can say that a cell consists of three parts. What are those?
12. What is the meaning of cell organelles? Give three examples of cell organelles.
13. What is Plasma Membrane?
14. Why Plasma Membrane is called a selectively permeable membrane?
15. What will happen if plasma membrane ruptures or breaks down?
16. How do the substances move in and out of the cell?
17. On the basis of concentration of solute in the solution, solutions are of three types. Name those three types of solutions.
18. Whether cells can survive in any type of condition I.e. too hot, too cold etc.?
19. What do you mean by solvent?
20. What is the meaning of solute?
21. What is the meaning of Hypertonic solution, Hypotonic solution and Isotonic solution?
22. What will happen, if a living plant cell is placed in hypertonic solution? What do you mean by plasmolysis?
23. What happens when a plant cell is placed in a hypotonic solution?
24. What prevents the cell from bursting when the plant cell is placed in hypotonic solution?
25. Why a single animal cell bursts when it is placed in hypotonic solution?
26. What happens when a plant cell is placed in a isotonic solution?
27. Why freshwater fish cannot survive in sea water?
28. What do you mean by diffusion?
29. What is osmosis? What is the significance of osmosis?