Under the Hood: How Cars Work
Important parts of a car explained in simple language, with rich, clear illustrations.
What you will learn
Understand the important systems in a car
Understand in detail how car engines work - the mechanics as well as the chemistry
This course is a rich, visually appealing guide to what's going on under the hood of your car - explained in language anyone can understand.
Let's parse that.
- This course focuses on what's going on under the hood. It combines practical knowledge, and required bits of engineering, chemistry and physics to explain how important car systems work
- This course is taught in language anyone can understand. All of this material is practical and accessible. By the end of this course, you will be able to make sense of the advice that your mechanic gives you, and also appreciate the complexities of automative design.
- This course is very visual. Cars are incredibly complicated these days, and the key to understanding that complexity is visualising how the components work, and how they work together. This course will help you get there.
- What happens when you turn the key in the ignition: We start with a step-by-step look at how a car starts, since this is an operation most folks are familiar with.
- Engines: How internal combustion engines work; the differences between Gasoline and Diesel engines; 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines; the details of each engine stroke; ignition systems
- Fuel Systems: Rich and lean mixtures; an elementary carburetor; best power and best economy mixtures; improvements for idling, starting and racing
- Transmission and drive train; the complex relationship between torque and RPM; gearing; the differential and final drive
- Suspension, Steering and Brakes